Casual Reviews of Movies, Music, and Literature

Sunday, December 31, 2023

2023: A Year in Books

As another year winds to a close, I'm happy to present to you the books I read in 2023 - starting back on New Year's Day and stretching all the way around to another New Year's Eve. I always try to conquer 25 books in a year, but it seems I rarely manage to pull it off. But that's alright. 24 books for the year averages out to 2 books per month, which is a pace that suits me just fine. Below you'll find the books I read this past year, presented in the order I finished them. I've dropped a silly little letter grade next to each, which indicates my overall enjoyment. My favorites of the year are highlighted in blue. 

Read and enjoy. And happy 2024! 

1.) The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros ... B+ 
2.) The Word Kingdom in the Word Kingdom by Noah Eli Gordon ... D
3.) The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides ... B 
4.) Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair by Pablo Neruda ... B+
5.) Educated by Tara Westover ... A 
6.) Soldier's Heart by Gary Paulsen ... B+ 
7.) Anthem by Ayn Rand ... B+
8.) Beyond Order by Jordan B. Peterson ... B
9.) In Order to Live by Yeonmi Park ... A 
10.) While Time Remains by Yeonmi Park ... A
11.) The Outsider by Stephen King ... B
12.) Run River by Joan Didion ... A- 
13.) Politics and the English Language by George Orwell ... A
14.) The Complete Calvin and Hobbes: Book Two by Bill Watterson ... A-
15.) The Regulators by Richard Bachman ... C+ 
16.) My Misspent Youth by Meghan Daum ... B+ 
17.) If It Bleeds by Stephen King ... B- 
18.) The Crossing by Gary Paulsen ... B 
19.) Tokyo Ueno Station by Yu Miri ... D+ 
20.) Joey Pigza Loses Control by Jack Gantos ... B 
21.) Last Chapter and Worse by Gary Larson ... B
22.) Things Have Gotten Worse Since We Last Spoke by Eric LaRocca ... C
23.) East of West: One by Jonathan Hickman and Nick Dragotta ... D+
24.) The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka ... B+ 

No comments:

Post a Comment